Friday, August 04, 2006

Who is interested in cheap petrol?


As petrol in the UK hits £/Litre the cost of the magic fluid is an important part of most household’s expenditure. Unfortunately the difference in station prices doesn’t warrant the cost of driving the extra distance, let alone the time spent driving and the ware and tear on the car. This doesn’t seem to stop people trying to find the best deal.

I checked out my cheapest fuel with petrolprices.com and found I would have to drive an extra 10 miles to save £0.03/litre.

As the price of petrol has risen in the US the desire to find the cheapest deal is also taking hold. The embedded chart shows the age of people using Gas Buddy web sites. Interestingly only 11% of site visitors are 55+. I am not sure what that means. Do they not use so much fuel, are they so wealthy that finding a good deal is unimportant, or maybe they are bright enough to have worked out that it in pure economic terms it is a waste of time. I put my money on the last option.Dick Stroud

No comments: