Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Better late than never


Finerday has eventually launched. Was it worth waiting for? The answer is yes and no. You can see I haven’t lost my finely honed consultancy skills of obscuration.

Let’s start with the positives. I really like the site imagery. I like the way the iconography is contemporary and inviting to all ages. Full marks for age neutral design. I like to attention to detail, like during the registration process showing the oldest age first.

Overall I like what the site is trying to do.

What concerns me about the site are the following:


Who the hell is Finerday? The site provides no background about the company (well not that I could find). What has happened to the link with Age Concern?

Why use this very clever, but I think initially confusing, pattern login system. I think somebody has told Finerday that the biggest concern of older people is ‘security’ and that they have gone over the top with this sign in process.

Why does the home page go direct to the login? The relative size of the login box and other information on the home page is fine if this were to be the login page itself but most people will not have registered.

I don’t think the explanation of “Why us it” is convincing. I think there are good reasons but the phrasing and order of these points doesn’t present the best argument.

I really do hope these guys make it since they have clearly put a lot of work into this site. Dick Stroud

2 comments:

Chuck Nyren said...

You're right - the log in is absolutely absurd. And I'm guessing the reasoning behind it is as you say.

But here's what they forgot (at least so far): I can't sign out of the site. That's a bigger security issue than stealing someone's username/password.

Anonymous said...

I've been in the IT industry 30 years and just tried to register (unsuccessfully) with Finerday. It's complete rubbish, if they think that they will get the 50+s flocking here then they are sadly wrong.
No mention about what the site can do until you register but you can't register so why would people join?