Thursday, November 05, 2009

An idiot side effect of the postal strike

I have just received today's copy of the Daily Telegraph, a newspaper with a predominately older readership.

Stuffed inside the paper were 200+ pages of advertising inserts. Catalogues from John Lewis and all sorts of companies trying to sell me stuff for Xmas.

Most of this material would have descended through my letter box in dribs and drabs; instead I receive it all in a single pile. Have the advertisers gone mad. What do they think the effect is of being deluged with advertising material? Believe me, more means less. I am certain that companies must be experiencing a massive drop in effectiveness by switching from the post to newspaper distribution.

If somebody suggested that promotional mail was only delivered once a week then there would be uproar – this is what is effectively happening. Nuts. Dick Stroud

No comments: