Sunday, June 27, 2010

An innovative application of technology

There are currently 2.5 million people in the UK with diabetes, however, it's estimated that more than half a million people have the condition but are unaware of it. The rise in obesity means there are going to be lot more suffers. Lots of them will be 50-plus.

For family reasons I have been immersed in the world of the technology that measures blood glucose levels. All of the devices I have encountered are really awkward to operate if you have dexterity and sight problems – both conditions that are common with older people with diabetes.

I have just seen this product from Bayer ( CONTOUR USB) that looks like a step-change improvement in the technology. It is the first plug&play measuring device that opens diabetes management software on your computer, measures the levels and does a host of other things like remind the person when to test. It is a small step for here to enabling the GP to monitor the levels online and respond if they look like they are deteriorating.

I have just put away my credit card so hopefully I will be able to tell you if the reality lives up to the promise.

I thought this was an innovative way of selling the product to the youth sector.

Very impressive stuff. Dick Stroud

No comments: