Monday, January 10, 2011

It’s all in the interface



What is it about the iPad that is so great? Why do love using the trackpad with my iMac?

Why am I amazed and excited when I look at the computer interfaces in the films Minority Report and Iron Man 2?

It has taken me far too long to realize, something that I am sure others have know for ages, that the way we inter-relate with computers far more important that their processing power and fancy application software.

Whilst the computing power and sophistication of software has increased by a zillion percent most of us are still using the medieaval mouse and keyboard as to utilize its power.

If you get a chance have a look at this video (15 mins) to get a view of what is possible. Also, have a look the blogs Aging in place technology and Useit to get their take on the importance of the new Kinect interface.

I do hope interface designers are thinking about how these amazing new interfaces can help get the zillions of older people who are not using the Internet to go online. Dick Stroud

No comments: