Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Results of the 2011 Accenture Video-Over-Internet Consumer Usage Survey


As you would expect with Accenture, a well researched and nicely produced document (and free).

I think the graphs tell their own story. Click on to enlarge.

I was interested in Accenture’s take on the numbers. I quote.
However, it’s the pervasiveness of Internet video watching across age groups and genders that is truly an outstanding development. Nearly equal percentages of the men (79 percent) and women (75 percent) surveyed are online video consumers. Numbers across the most profitable age demographics are also extremely strong: 85 percent of 18 to 24 year-olds; 84 percent of 25 to 34 year-olds; and 82 percent of 35 to 44 year-olds.
It was the last sentence of the quote that amused me. I like the phrase: “numbers across the most profitable age demographics” referring to 18-44 year olds. Mmmm. I wonder how they came to that conclusion.

I think the graph showing the trends is about what you would expect. Lower use of laptops by older people and low use of mobile video. The bottom line of the paper for me is that online video is now mainline across all ages. The differences are in the delivery device but that will have as much to do with physiological ageing (i.e. difficult in hearing and watching on a small screen), as it will be to do with attitude. Dick Stroud

No comments: