Sunday, June 05, 2011

RNID = Action on Hearing Loss

The RNID has for as long as I can remember been the Royal National Institute for Deaf People - in the same way as the RNIB is the Royal National Institute for the Blind.

Why the name change? I can understand the argument that says that so much of what the Institute does is for people with hearing loss, not ‘deaf’ people. As the population ages this will account for a large number of the population.

On the other hand, it is a lot of brand recognition and Google visibility to chuck away.

I think it is the wrong call since words like ‘Institute’ still mean something positive to a lot of people, probably inaccurately and even though I am not deaf, they would be first organisation I would contact for advice about hearing loss. The new domain is hearingloss.org.uk.

So how could we rename the RNIB? Action on Sight Loss? Well the domain sightloss.org.uk is still available. Any marketers from the RNIB reading this blog? If I were you I would get that domain before it is grabbed – maybe by me. Dick Stroud

No comments: