Friday, August 26, 2011

Broadband and 3G connection - fact and fiction

I tend to think it is just me that I get such dreadful 3G connection via my Orange phone - but then my friends with O2 don't do much better, neither to those with Vodafone. I am about to give 3 a go to see if they are any better.

I think the truth is that none of them are that good outside the city areas and even in the middle of London the reception can still be dreadful.

Whilst my friends in London have great Broadband speeds and mine is not too bad I know that parts of rural UK the connection speed is slightly slower than an arthritic snail.

With so many care based and tele-medicine products being based on the assumption that everybody has a decent Internet connection it is perhaps time the industry had a reality check. It is one thing if your iTunes song is a bit slow loading but a different thing if a vital healthcare product stops working.

It is reassuring to know that the UK is not alone in this problem. Have a read of Laurie Orlov's views about the availability of Internet connection in the US.

We still have a hell of a long way to go before we have anything like universal coverage. Dick Stroud

No comments: