Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Fitness for older adults - the trend that never happens?



I have just been reading this article about fitness trends for 2012. Number three in the list is "fitness for older people". The same organisation has published its trends for the past 6 years and each year this prediction appears in the top six. Theoretically these are worldwide trends.

I would really like to think this is happening - maybe it is in the US - but my experience in the UK is that if it is occurring it more by accident than desire.

Looking at the composition of classes at my gym you  can see that some are definitely more popular with older people (almost always ladies). I would like to think that those responsible for the gym's business had sat down and planned their classes and marketing approach in an age neutral way. Somehow I doubt it.

Everything we know about demographics and the fitness/wellness desires of a sizeable proportion of older people suggests that the prediction will come true. Dick Stroud

No comments: