Sunday, December 02, 2012

Not doom and gloom but reality

There was an article in the Telegraph about a paper recently published in the academic journal of the British Geriatrics Society.

It makes painful reading. 

A series of things happened to me this week that reinforced my view of the desperate state of ageing in the UK and total disconnect that politicians and policy makers have from the reality.

There was an article in the Economist this week about the way the North of England is degenerating compared with South. 

There is a common strand between these two stories. The UK's population is fragmenting faster and faster into a small group of haves and a very large group of have nothings. I know I have been saying this for ages but the speed it is happening and the magnitude of the consequences, even surprises me.

The result of this mega-change is to radically alter the fabrics of many markets. I fear most marketers will not have a clue what I am talking about. This change will lead to massive opportunities for those that understand it and make the necessary changes.  Dick Stroud

No comments: