Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What is wrong with most marketers - they don't have or don't value the vision thing







This is nothing to do with the 50-plus (directly) so you can save a few minutes of your life by not watching. It is about the 'vision' thing.

We now know that the ceo of Microsoft is on his way out of the door.

The Harvard Business Review has an interesting article about the circumstances  - the lessons from the demise of Steve Ballmer.

I don't think you need to do anything more than look at these two videos to see what was wrong with the guy and what was so very right with Steve Jobs.

I posted about this in June 2010. That's not long ago and when I read what I said I wonder why I had the least doubt about who had the right view.

Jump to 3.30 in the Steve Jobs video to hear what he says about the way we will use PCs, smartphones and tablets.

Ballmer may have a zillion and one strengths but originality and vision are not two of the them. Like so many executives their vision of the future is to take today's situation and extend it a bit.

Not Jobs.

I am sure you know, but just in case you don't, this year, IDC expects 229.3 million tablets to be shipped, up nearly 59 percent from a year ago, while notebook shipments should total 187.4 million. Moreover, by 2015, IDC said it expects tablet shipments to outpace the entire PC market, including notebooks and desktop devices.

Good grief I wish I could be that smart. Dick Stroud

No comments: