Thursday, May 01, 2014

Great customer service is owning the customer's problem

When a company provides great customer service you are surprised. This just shows how bad it is most of the time.

I book my rail tickets using thetrainline.com. The site works well as does the back office systems. Recently, it has been possible to download the ticket onto your smartphone. It has worked great.

Yesterday, before leaving home I opened the app and to my horror it immediately closed. The same happened on my iPad. 

I called the help desk. First good point was that the options were clear and made sense. Three rings and I was talking to human (Neil).

What Neil did, which is incredibly rare, was to take my problem and say he would get it fixed. He took ownership.

I will not bore you with the details but it got sorted and I went from being a mildly p***ed off customer to a delighted one.

The same always happens when I shop in Pret a Manger. Consistent, friendly and efficient.

It is possible to 'delight' the customer but it rarely happens. 

Why am I telling you this? Because, the combination of providing good customer service and the power of WOM (Word of Mouth) is potent - especially with older consumers.

Thanks Neil. Dick Stroud   

No comments: