Jakob Nielsen, the usability expert, has just published his Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005 that were nominated by web users.
Groan. It is so depressing that the same items keep appearing. Most of them would have been on the list of 5 years ago. The crazy thing is that all of these mistakes are even more important in the design of 50-plus friendly web sites.
If any we designers are reading this list please take note!
I recommend you take the time and visit this link to read the article in full.
1. Legibility Problems (Bad fonts won the vote by a landslide)
2. Non-Standard Links (ie not making it obvious what's clickable for text links)
3. Inappropriate use of Flash
4. Content That's Not Written for the Web
5. Bad Search
6. Browser Incompatibility
7. Cumbersome Forms
8. No Contact Information or Other Company Info
9. Frozen Layouts with Fixed Page Widths
10. Inadequate Photo Enlargement.
I will have a bet with you that a least seven of these items will appear on next year’s list. Dick Stroud