Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What do they know that I don’t?

I have been banging on for ages about the fallacy of social networking sites that are age specific and just when I think the message must have dropped another crop of the ***** appear.

I can only assume it is the indomitable positive attitude of my generation that in spite of all of the evidence to the contrary people keep having a go at winning Boomer eyeballs by creating age ghetto web sites.

There is an alternative explanation, which part of me would like to believe, and that is I am wrong and these sites are little gold mines. Will somebody put me out of my misery and tell me what is really happening.

This is a nice article about Boomercafe.com, one of the first Boomer sites that has been going for a decade and run for the fun of it – nothing wrong with that – I guess it was a blog before blogs existed.

These two articles (one and two) contain background about these four new Boomer sites. Hey Ho. Dick Stroud

2 comments:

Chuck Nyren said...

I think the issue here is scale and motivation.

Boomercafe is what it is - and Mr. Henderson revealed that "We had venture capitalists approaching us with hair-brained ideas to make millions."

But he knew better.

A new site is Boomer Diva TV. It'll be mostly fun for them - and if they can pay expenses, even turn a buck, great. But that's not the point.

Boomerous is doomed. Like I said a few years ago in a blog post:

If you haven’t guessed already - it’s all about money. They think Baby Boomers with 2 Trillion dollars spending power - and the 3000-ring circus begins.

-

So kudos to Boomercafe - and the new Boomer Diva TV.

Mike from Drop Ship said...

Boomercafe.com is one of the oldest social networking sites. I like to often visit this site as I have a comfort zone set with it.