Saturday, July 03, 2010

Marketing is more than marketing coms

“Why don’t more companies target the older consumer”? I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody has asked me this question.

After this question comes the next observation: “I guess it is because most marketers are young.” No I say, I don’t think that is the main reason.

“Well what is”, is the next question.

I then say that it is because marketers are a conservative bunch and don’t like stepping away from their perception of ‘normal’ marketing. The other reason, that I rarely say, because the questioner might to get annoyed, is that most marketers don’t do much more than marketing communications.

A report from Forrester seems to come to about the same conclusions. If you want to pay $500 you can buy the document and read the details but the bottom line seems to be that Chief Marketing Officers should concentrate on influencing the strategic direction of their company and not just managing advertising.

The “Define Your Marketing Innovation Strategy” report says marketers are not taking advantage of the changes in consumer behaviour and the possibilities offered by new technology.

It warns that Marketing Directors must “redefine how their company will interact and engage with consumers and customers in the future” by adapting their marketing methods to accommodate future customer engagement methods. Sounds sensible to me.

According to the report, less than 30% of senior marketing people see themselves as agents of change, and do not consider innovation as an important part of their jobs. So if marketing is not going to lead innovative developments who will – the Finance Department? Methinks not. Dick Stroud

No comments: