Sunday, March 20, 2011

Texting stats from Nielsen


These stats from Nielsen don't tell us anything we didn’t already know but provides some current data about the volumes of texts sent/received by age.

I have never understood why texting has been seen as some sort of technological status test. If you text a lot then you “get it” if you don’t then you are technophobic.

Texting isn’t better or worse than voice/e-mail/messaging or using cans attached by string. It is different and clearly appeals to younger people more then their grandparents.

There are physiological factors at work that make texting harder as the years go by but more than that it is attitude.

When I think that years gone, by when I worked in the mobile world, we wondered long and hard what we would do with the SMS feature that nobody seemed to want to use. How times have changed. Dick Stroud

1 comment:

oldgoat1957 said...

I think that's a good point you make; for example, when you wear bifocals (like I do) it's that much harder to see what you are texting under certain conditions. I work in IT, so I don't think of myself as a technophobe.

On the other hand, there have been quite a few reports recently that show baby boomers as the fastest growing groups using Facebook.