Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Entrepreneurs or just looking for a job?

I was just reading yet another article about how Boomers are going to be the entrepreneurial powerhouse of the future. One minute you are working for ABC Inc next day you are the next Steve Jobs in the making.


For ages I have been very suspicious of this view of the future. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any reason why the older mind cannot hack it with a new start-up company. Nor do I think there isn't the desire to take control of your own destiny and run your own business. For as long as I can remember I have been writing about the business opportunities for franchise owners to tap the desire (and money) of the older demographic.


What disturbs me is the way that continual growth in the numbers of self-employed is always quoted as proof of this surge of entrepreneurial desire. For every one genuine self-employed person there is one, probably two, maybe three and could be ten others who are effectively unemployed but prefer the title self employed.


I have just stumbled upon a brilliant blog that makes this point far better than I could ever do. Flip Chart Fairy Tales gets right to the nub of the matter. Dick Stroud 

No comments: