Monday, November 17, 2014

Common sense usability rules for getting the best out of video

The punchline from Jakob Nielsen's latest blog is:

Video content is helpful only if users have control over it, understand what’s contained within it, and have an alternate way to access it.

As somebody who is a video advocate it makes instructive reading. I thought I knew most of the usability rules about video but clearly not.

I like to think I was a little in front of the curve when it comes to the importance of this media. Back in 2006 I wrote a blog titled: I have seen the future and it moves.

Amazing how long it takes for the reality of technology to catchup with its potential.

Video, used well, is a powerful tool when communicating with older folk. Nielsen's blog gives some useful advice on how to avoid the most common usability mistakes. Dick Stroud

No comments: