Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The CSR could be a useful marketing metric for targeting the Care Industry



I am sure it has been around for ages but it is first time I have encountered the term - Caregiver Support Ratio. This is the number of people aged 45-64 in a geographical area divided by the number of people aged 80+

It will not come as a shock but this ratio is falling. In 2010, in the US, it was 7.2 - by 2030 it will be 4.1 and right out at 2050 it will have fallen yet again to 2.9.

There is a very good report from the AARP Public Policy Institutee on the subject.

You don't have to be an Einstein to work out the implications of this change. Either care quality will fall, care cost will rise or there will need to be radically different way that care is delivered. Probably all three of these outcomes.

What makes matters worse is that CSR varies greatly by geographic area. For instance in Arizona, I have no idea why, it will be the around 1.8 by 2050.

Now if I were a company that has a care related service then I would start to pay a lot more attention to CSR and help it guide my geographic priorities for selling my products. Dick Stroud

No comments: