Monday, November 09, 2015

The John Lewis Xmas TV ad. Words like nice, caring, kind, thoughtful come to mind. Not sure that is enough?




John Lewis is the UK's premier retailer. The company does most everything well. They are a truly professional outfit and very good at tactical and strategic marketing.

But this Xmas ad doesn't work for me.

I get the feeling that the choice of the subject and the content was more driven by the company's CSR group than their marketers.

Marketing Week explains the link between this ad and the campaign being run by AgeUK.
This is all very worthy and  I have no doubt it will do some good but I am not sure what is in it for John Lewis. Maybe that is a very mercenary un-Xmas view, but there you are that is what I think.

When I come to think about it, I don't think it is going to do that much good for older people who will be alone this Xmas. I have watched it a couple of times and I didn't make the connection with loneliness.

But then ads always have been such an subjective thing and I am sure there are others who think it is wonderful. Dick Stroud

No comments: