Saturday, July 26, 2008

Who exhibits at a “Retirement Show”


I have already written a few words about the London Retirement Show. I thought it would be interesting to look at the profile of the types of organisations exhibiting. This is Dick Stroud’s “best guess” at the category of each of the 132 exhibitors. Plus or minus a couple of percent I think it is reasonably accurate.
Some observations:

Loads of Charities etc

About what I expect in the way of Finance and Holiday companies

Much lower numbers of property and care providers than I would expect.
Two of my chums were exhibiting and both were delighted at the numbers of people who attended. Both organisations learnt some interesting lessons from the exercise.

Clearly this sort of exhibition is not for all types of organisations targeting the older age group but it clearly works for some. It will be interesting to hear from the exhibitors about the age profile of attendees. My best guess is a median age of close 70 years old. Dick Stroud

1 comment:

Chuck Nyren said...

I was 'working' during the fair in The Netherlands - and had less than two hours to walk around aimlessly. It didn't seem like a retirement show - more like a party, an event. Of the almost 900 Exhibitors, I remember lots of sporting equipment - including about ten bicycle booths. "Booths" isn't quite the right word. A few had access to open areas. There must have been over one hundred different models you could jump on and ride around a bit.

Motor Homes, Motorcycles, Scooters, and Cars: In that hall, it was as if you were at a motor vehicle show. Thirty or forty exhibitors - maybe more.

Lots of fashion/clothes/ make-up aisles.

So I'm guessing that, while 'relentlessly cheerful' like the one you attended - I think your list would be much, much longer in Utrecht. A shorter list might be the consumer industries not exhibiting.