Saturday, June 06, 2009

Ageing and travel business

I have recently had another encounter with the hospitality and travel industry.

In a fit of idiocy I was persuaded to do the Three Peaks Challenge.

A word of advice - if anybody suggests you do this walk think of a good excuse. Failing that think of a bad excuse!

Seriously, it was a great experience and I am sure at some stage I will stop hobbling.

I took a train from Glasgow to Fort William, where the walk starts. It is one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world. I couldn’t resist doing a quick survey of the age profile of the passengers. I reckon between 60% - 70% were 50-plus.

Before the walk I stayed at the local Youth Hostel. Here again I reckon the age profile was well into the majority being 50-plus. Makes a bit of a mockery of the name ’Youth’ hostel.

I wonder if either the Scottish Youth Hostels or the local rail company had thought through the implications on their business of ageing population. I doubt it. Dick Stroud

No comments: