Sunday, November 27, 2011

Boomer Values Realignment Study - a disappointment

A read the title of this study and thought that it should be interesting. It wasn't.

A group of Boomers, minimum household income of $75k, were questions about their concerns and desires and how things have changed because of the big 'R'.

I suppose my test for a good research study is if it surprises me or tells me something that I (and zillions of other marketers) didn't know or couldn't have guessed, if we had been plied with a few decent glasses of chilled Sauvignon Blanc.

I mean, who is surprised with results like these:

70% are concerned that the U.S. is slipping in its global position 66% are concerned for their children’s future more than their own
61% believe it is “very” hard to be confident about the future with all the media talk about the economy
86% believe obesity and sedentary lifestyles are a big problem in the united States
83% believe companies need to focus more on long-term growth rather than short-term profits
61% agree there are too few “haves” and too many “have nots.”
93% want to put more intention into their “health and wellbeing.”
88% describe a positive aspect of retirement is the ability to “spend time with family and friends.”

OK, so these are the sorts of eye candy 'facts' that litter presentations but aren't they just plain common sense?

I suppose there are a few things that surprise me - only 70% think is slipping in its global position and that 'only' 66% are more concerned for their children's future than their own. But so what? Dick Stroud 

No comments: