Monday, July 12, 2010

Where Brits can go when they retire and what services they require

I received an e-mail from the publisher of The International Retirement Directory asking if it was OK if he sent me a copy of the book. Yep, I said, send me a copy.

I have a large pile of unread books so I thought that one more would not make a difference.

I wish I had refused the offer since I have spent too much time reading about all of the nice places I could be spending a restful retirement, with good weather, half the cost of living of the UK and no austerity budgets.

It makes you think. Why on earth would you want to retire in the UK? OK, I know there are lots of good reasons associated with friends and family and familiar surroundings etc etc. However, there are a hell of lot of good reasons why getting the hell out of the country to one of these far away paradises sound mighty attractive.

As you can see I like the publication.

The book quotes the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as saying that 38% of Brits, over the age of 55 are considering relocating overseas in the next five years. I suspect that number has gone up a bit in the past 12 months and will continue to rise. I would think this directory has a fast growing market as Brits seek places to go away from austerity Europe. Dick Stroud

No comments: