Saturday, December 15, 2012

Depressing view of the future in Europe (and the US) from Unilever's boss

As reported in Bloomberg, the company's ceo said Europe is facing 10 years of economic stagnation while the U.S. grapples with the rise of an “emerging poor” class dependent on government benefits.


“We are in for at least 10 years of slow economic growth in Europe, and I don’t see that changing,” Polman said in an interview yesterday with Bloomberg.

 “If you run a business like mine and don’t assume that, you are fooling yourself. I hope for the benefit of Europe I am proven wrong, but even then we are in a better position by taking that as our starting point. The key thing is to see reality in the eye.”

Personally, I totally agree with these sentiments. I think it wise to plan using these assumptions and then be delighted if proved wrong. Dick Stroud



No comments: