Monday, March 04, 2013

When will the UK Government get on and do something about ageing rather than 'researching' the subject


If I have a difficult task to do I will delay starting by finding a zillion other things to do, all of them insignificant, to delay doing the hard stuff. I think this is called displacement activity.

The UK Government suffers from this problem  - BIG time.

We are knee deep in research about ageing, its effects, what you can do about it and any other variant you want to consider. Add to that the mile high pile of research from the EU, USA and Asia Pacific and I think we can be sure that we know 99% about the ageing issue.

What we don't do is take action.

To my horror I have just read that the Government has come up with a new wheeze to delay taking actions called : What Works: evidence centres for social policy. Once such centre is to be called: What Works Centre for Ageing Better. 

Well I guess there is one small mitigating factor and that it is not just tax payers money that will be used for this venture. 

The Big Lottery Fund is digging into its pockets to fund the enterprise. 

I quote: The ‘centre’ will be developed in conjunction with groups of older people themselves, and other stakeholders including the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), Department of Health (DH) and Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

My eyes glaze over when I see this list of 'stakeholders' because you know we are unlikely to see much in the way of outputs.

No doubt they will have lots of meeting, pay some consultants good money to tell them what they already should know, create a few web sites, Twitter like demented gerbils  run a few conferences and write a few reports and then disappear. What will be achieved - my guess is very little.

Come on guys, start doing something not just talking about it. Dick Stroud

No comments: