Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Love or hate it iOS7 isn't going away


I seem to be in the minority liking the new Apple operating system iOS7.

The guy who I reckon is the authority on usability, Jakob Nielsen, isn't that impressed nor this recent article from eConsultancy

Nielsen suggests that changing something that people have gotten used to is a very bad thing. Apple has "demolished millions of hours of user learning” just by changing the icons.

I am not so sure about this argument since if you follow it to its logical conclusion you would never change anything.

I find it difficult to say why I like it better but I seem to get around from application to application faster and make less errors. Things seem to be in the right place, where you would expect them to be.

I don't know why but for somebody with not the greatest of eyesight I find it easier to read the keyboard and see the navigation.

The only thing that is a bit of a pain is that it requires a lot of free space to install - we have a couple of iPhones and iPads and that required making space available on all of the devices.

When I have time I will investigate further to see why the change in colour, navigation and typefaces might just be better suited to older users. My guess is that they are. Thanks Mr Apple. Dick Stroud

No comments: