Saturday, July 30, 2016

Is Pfizer's Get Old campaign worthwhile? Probably not but it is much more than the rest of Big Pharma is doing

I was reading an article about the state of digital innovation in the US healthcare industry (answer  - not much) and came upon a name from the the past - the Pfizer 'Get Old' campaign.

I remember researching this a couple of years back but for the life of me couldn't remember what it was supposed to be doing. This is how Pfizer describes its rationale (I have removed the most obvious corporate PR speak):

Pfizer started Get Old to challenge misperceptions of ageing and drive new conversations that inspire people of all ages to take action on their own health. Since 2012, Get Old has brought together a community of experts and leading partner organizations to share new insights on a diverse range of ageing topics, from new research on chronic conditions to lifestyle changes that help people age well.

As the campaign enters its fourth year, we remain as focused as ever on using wit and wisdom to inspire everyone to Get Old in new, engaging ways. Ageing can be as good a time as ever to begin new dreams and adventures. Over the coming year, we’ll be launching a host of digital and physical activities to help demonstrate how you can take actions today to get ready, get set, Get Old.

This is the campaign website and Facebook page. This is what I said about the campaign way back in 2012.

So what would I say about the campaign now? Is it a good idea for either Pfizer or older people? If I was head marketing honcho at Pfizer would I spend my money on the activity?

First thing to say is that Pfizer has shown infinitely more interest in the ageing business than its competitors and for that it must be congratulated. This campaign and others I have encountered illustrate that somewhere in the company there is a realisation that it is a vital issue to get sorted.

That all said, has the Get Old campaign done much good? I have no idea and I bet neither does Pfizer.

It probably costs next to nothing to run and it enables the company's management to reference it whenever the subject of ageing comes along.

I guess Pfizer is lucky since the rest of big Pharma is too busy chasing its collective tail to make a noise about the subject it means you have to do very little to get noticed. Dick Stroud

No comments: