Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The most un-age neutral ad I have seen?



According to BrandChannel, Dell is launching a new “More You” ad campaign this Friday with an emphasis on emotional connection through three of its consumer brands, the Inspiron for casual users, XPS for high-performance customers, and Alienware for gamers.

"We realized it was important to connect more emotionally with customers. Most competitors are neglecting the fact that technology is empowering people, commented Dell’s CMO,  "It will help people think, 'It's about me.'"

Mmm. Well I can tell you this ad is clearly not about me. That's fine, but I am somebody who has bought top of the range Dell kit for the last decade.

Sorry to always compare technology companies to Apple but I am afraid it is difficult not to do so when you can see one company doing things so well and another (Dell) floundering around trying to find a reason to exist.

Don't get me wrong. I always like Dell equipment and the reason for leaving Dell was nothing to do with Dell but mainly due to the allure of Apple and the frustrations of using MS Windows Vista. Sure, things improved with Windows 7 but by then the damage had been done.

I am really not sure if this age segmented approach of Dell is the right way of differentiating a box full  of  generic components of technology. Dick Stroud

No comments: