Friday, January 18, 2013

Cash is only for oldies

I thought it was just my misfortune to always be behind a young person buying a cup of coffee and paying for it with a card. Why I thought don't you get some cash rather than make the rest of us wait whilst the pin and chip device trundles along executing the transaction.

Yes I know there are contactless payment cards but after the revelation that a bright twelve year old was able to hack the things I think it will take a while for them to catch on.

I have just read an article in the Huffington Post that confirms that the cashless young is a global phenomenon. It is not just coffee shops in the UK.

Will cash die with my generation. Almost certainly, but I doubt if it will because of bits of plastic rather than smartphones and how they develop in the future. Dick Stroud

No comments: